Former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Timi Frank, has challenged President Muhammadu Buhari to account for the $1bn he allegedly withdrew from the Excess Crude Account to combat insecurity.
He also alleged that the looting of public funds that had so far characterised the current administration was responsible for the persistent insecurity in the country.
In a statement made available to journalists on Sunday in Abuja, Frank noted that the call became necessary in view of the increasing spate of killings, banditry, and kidnapping across the country.
According to Frank, “the President has failed to protect Nigerians and for the situation to be salvaged, the current tired and incompetent heads of security agencies and service chiefs should be sacked.
“No serious government will keep incompetent service chiefs if the President himself is not personally benefiting from their cluelessness.”
Frank noted that no government had approved such a huge amount of fund to tackle insecurity in the history of Nigeria without noticeable improvement in the security of the country.
Frank said, “We are talking of $1bn (or N360bn) unilaterally withdrawn in a single tranche from the ECA by the current administration without any positive effect on the security of the country. Rather, insecurity continues to bedevil the country without letting up. Haba!
“The only achievement we have seen through the current military administration is propaganda and fake news to defend their looting.
“Dear Gen. Buhari, please tell the world what you did with $1bn (N360bn) taken from the Excess Crude Account supposedly to fight insecurity!
“The number of lives lost and that of people displaced on a daily basis across the country is your responsibility which you must account for, but it is obvious that you only care about your ambition.
“The increasing level of insecurity in the country has pushed the citizens to the wall and this will no doubt set this country on fire if you don’t do the needful and urgently too.
“Nigerians should bear in mind that the more money the President approves to fight insecurity, the more the country becomes insecure.”
He called on the international community to urgently come to the aid of Nigerians security-wise to prevent the growing humanitarian situation in the country from getting out of hand under Buhari, as “the present administration has lost the capacity and will to protect the people”.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Tuesday said it will commence the …